FOUNDATIONAL TEXTS

Saturday, July 19, 2008

I learn from everything around me: earth and sky, the cats and the birds. I've also been reading voraciously since I taught myself at 4 years old. Here's a sample of the books I've read that have helped me to this work.

Barbara Ann Brennan, Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing through the Human Energy Field. Brennan is an astrophysicist who slowly became a counselor, then an energetic healer. Though I don't agree with her on everything (how dull would that be?), her work is a model of clarity in an often-confusing field. Many people in this field hang up a shingle after a weekend workshop or a year's study; not Brennan (and not me).

Nicki Scully, Alchemical Healing. I love Nicki; she's so true to her vision, so connected to her guidance, and so real. I've taken a class via telephone with her, and it's one of my ambitions to take a week-long intensive. Nicki works largely with the Egyptian pantheon of goddesses and gods. She's another healer who's taken a long road.

Andrew Harvey, The Divine Path. His model is not mine; and he's a great light in our times, since he embodies the Seeker, deeply physical and equally deeply committed to and connected to Spirit. If you want to wrestle with deep/high questions, Harvey's your man: a great guide, a great mind.

There are also the poets: Dante (especially the Purgatorio), TS Eliot, Ezra Pound, Adrienne Rich, Marge Piercy, Marilyn Hacker, Sharon Olds, Gary Snyder.

0 comments: